Friday, March 28, 2014

Bangkok to Chiang Mai

Bangkok day 3 was more leisurely. I was on my own. I decided to walk to Wat Arun (The Temple of Dawn) around dusk to catch the sunset. From my guesthouse the walk was 45 minutes or so down busy streets and across chaotic intersections. Fortunately there are pedestrian overpasses that allow you to get above the traffic and walk right over it.


Wat Arun was impressive when I arrived before sundown, and infinitely moreso at nightfall. Illuminated in the evening, the temple glows golden for all of Bangkok to see. I did not enter because visitor hours end at 6pm, but rather sat outside waiting for the tourists to disperse and the light to fade. It was incredible to behold the transformation. To my back, the Chao Phraya river's choppy waters tossed with ferries and long-tail tourist boats easing slowly by, twinkling with the flash of their cameras like a hundred shooting stars. In front of me, the temple shone brighter by the minute. It was so incredible that I broke a personal rule and took a selfie. I've been taking them ever since.


I walked back, briefly considering a taxi but preferring instead to walk. Walking is free and I have all the time in the world. You see more on foot anyway. I walked by a boxing ring beneath the freeway where kids were learning to fight. Beneath the freeway! Their instructor was shouting above the constant noise of cars overhead. What a different way of life.


Returning to the guesthouse, I met with my roommate Sergio. We went out for dinner and hatched a plan to travel to Chiang Mai together the next day. By bus, for 9.5 hours. Or so we thought.


The bus ride from Bangkok to Chiang Mai took no less than 12 hours. I insisted on a day bus since I can't sleep in anything but a dark room with a comfortable bed and little noise. I know, right? Sucks to be me sometimes. The 12 hours were broken up by  countless stops to pick up more passengers, and three stops in which we were allowed to get out, use a toilet, grab a snack and stretch our legs. We arrived in Chiang Mai after midnight, got a Tuk Tuk to our hostel and checked in around 1am. The host was not pleased. Good thing I booked a place with 24 hour reception just in case!

2 comments:

  1. A boxing ring under a freeway? That's like something out of Tekken. Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know right? This is Thailand...

    ReplyDelete