Saturday, April 12, 2014

Chiang Mai Markets + Munchies

Day two in Chiang Mai was a busy one. We checked out a local market, Wararos, where goods are a fraction of the cost compared to more touristy markets. I ate mango sticky rice for the first time and fell in love. Now I eat it every few days for breakfast or dessert. Such a simple pleasure: sticky rice topped with fresh-cut mango, with coconut milk poured over the top. Sometimes they add little crunchy things too. All for 40 baht. Heavenly.



                             


The real highlight of the day, though, was my first Thai massage.


...


Later Sergio and I perused the Sunday evening walking street market. It's basically a long street with shoulder-to-shoulder tourists flashing money and local merchants eating it up. Fun to see once, but I tired of it after all of five minutes. I guess I've been in Thailand long enough that the tourist markets annoy me more than they impress. I much preferred Wararos, the local market we'd visited earlier in the day.



Sergio departed for Chiang Rai the next day, leaving me solo yet again. It's always bittersweet to say goodbyes, not knowing when (or if) you'll see the person again. It turns out that I would see Sergio again later in my travels, and a bit sooner than expected...


Some more photos from Chiang Mai:






1 comment:

  1. Dude, that mango and sticky rice.... Gah. I want to be in Thailand right now!

    ReplyDelete